These Asian flavored lettuce wraps are made with ground chicken breast mixed with stir fried vegetables, a little bit of rice wrapped and up in lettuce. They are perfect for a quick dinner, but be sure to make extra for lunch the next day because they are that good.
This month for The Secret Recipe Club I was paired with Jamie at Our Eating Habits. Jamie is a home schooling mom that loves her family, Christmas and Disney, and I’m guessing in that order too. She has a LOT of mouth watering easy to prepare recipes on her blog. You should head on over there and check them out. Here are a few that caught my attention: Falafel With Cucumber Sauce, Balsamic Roasted Cauliflower and Swedish Meatloaf which is a brilliant idea; Swedish meatballs made into a meatloaf! After looking through Jamie’s expansive collection of recipes, I decided on the Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps. I’ve never made lettuce wraps before, and they looked like the perfect quick and healthy meal. I would even put these into the category of make ahead and put together quickly on a busy night.
The ingredient list is relatively short, but not short on flavor 🙂 . To make cooking time a breeze, I mixed the sauce ingredients together before adding it to the meat. I also used fresh vegetables rather than frozen and stir fried them for a bit before cooking the chicken and set them aside.
I cooked the chicken, added the sauce along with the garlic and stir fried vegetables during the last minute or two of cooking. If you are prepping this for another day, you can stir fry the veggies, cook the chicken and store them separately in the refrigerator. When it’s time to eat, heat the chicken in a frying pan and stir in the vegetables at the last minute to heat them through.
To assemble the wraps, place the chicken, veggies and rice on top of a lettuce leaf and roll them up — eat with your hands or or a fork and knife – enjoy!
- 1 pound organic ground chicken breast
- 1 small zucchini julienne sliced
- 2 carrots julienne sliced
- ½ orange (red or yellow) bell pepper julienne sliced
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced
- ⅛ cup teriyaki sauce
- ⅛ cup hoisin sauce
- 1½ tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon.sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 green onions chopped
- lettuce leaves - I used romaine - that's all that was available (bibb and green leafy will work.
- 1 cup cooked rice - I used wild in this recipe but any kind will work
- Stir fry the vegetables until heated and crisp tender, set aside
- Mix together the teriyaki, hoisin peanut butter, ginger, vinegar and oil and set aside
- Stir fry chicken until cooked through
- Add the sauce mixture, veggies and garlic
- Cook over medium for a few minutes until all is heated through
- Layer a lettuce leaf with rice, then chicken mixture. Top with green onion.