Bison burgers are grilled to perfection and topped with cheddar cheese, bacon and caramelized onions with a splash of bourbon mixed in.
Today is national hamburger day, and I am sharing with you one of my favorite burgers, a bison burger. You might be thinking, bison? Isn’t that kind of gamey tasting? Well, no, not really. Bison tastes very similar to beef, but it has a rich meaty flavor. Bison is naturally lean, so it’s lower in calories, and like all meats, it’s a good source of protein and a healthier choice over beef. If you choose grass fed bison over grain fed, you will get the added bonus of healthy extra Omega 3’s.
I start the onions about 40 minutes before I grill the burger since the onions need some time to caramelize. Since bison is lean, the burgers should be cooked over medium to low heat, and they will cook rather quickly. Once the burger is done, I top it with a good quality cheddar along with caramelized onions, a slice of uncured bacon and a splash of dijon mustard. Aside from the health benefits of bison burgers, these burgers are just plain old delicious!
- 1 pound grass fed bison
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- cheddar cheese
- 4 slices uncured bacon
- using a sharp knife or mandolin slice the onions thin
- heat the skillet over medium to low heat
- add the oil and butter, once butter has melted add the onions and sprinkle with sea salt
- allow the onions to sit undisturbed for about 5 to 8 minutes, then stir them and allow them to sit again - check the onions every 5 minutes or so and giving them a stir each time.
- If they begin to stick to the pan add some water and continue to check and stir - until they begin to turn brown -
- stir in the bourbon and cook on low for 15 minutes more
- while onions are cooking make the make the burgers by forming them into four patties
- sprinkle each one with sea salt and pepper
- pre-heat the grill to medium low heat
- place the burgers on the grill and grill for 6 to 8 minutes on one side and flip
- cook for about 5 minutes or more and add the cheese and cook to your liking
- top each burger with a spoonful of onions, and bacon and surround it with your favorite roll
Here are a few other burger ideas to help you celebrate National Hamburger Day, which in my opinion should be every day!
July 28th is National Hamburger Day and to celebrate these fabulous foodie bloggers are sharing their favorite burger recipes! Check them out now:
- Animal Style Burgers from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Copycat Smashburgers from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fajita Burgers from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gourmet Burgers with Chiptole Mayo from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Hatch Green Chile Burger from Palatable Pastime
- Lamb Burgers with Feta Sauce and Minted Tomato Salsa from Caroline’s Cooking
- Maple Mustard Turkey Burgers from Making the Most of Naptime
- Smash Burgers from Monica’s Table
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***