Fried rice is so simple to make and it’s way better for you when you make it yourself. Plus it costs less and it’s an easy way to clean out your refrigerator – a win-win for sure!
The secret to good fried rice is to use chilled cooked grains. So if you don’t have any leftover cooked whole grains sitting in your fridge, cook some up ahead of time and let them chill. In this recipe I used quinoa to add a little extra protein, but you can use any type of whole grain that you want.
Fried rice is a great way to use up whatever has been hanging around your kitchen. I used zucchini, purple cabbage, broccoli, yellow bell pepper, and peas along with a left over chicken breast, but any combination of vegetable and lean protein will do.
This is a dinner that can be on the table in less than one hour. The most time-consuming part is chopping the vegetables which can be done the day before while your whole grains are cooking for a speedy dinner preparation the next day.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- ½ medium onion small dice
- 2 cloves garlic small dice
- 1½ cup small broccoli florets
- ½ red, yellow or orange bell pepper small dice
- ¾ cup finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1 small zucchini small dice
- ¾ cup peas
- ½ cup chicken breast diced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups cooked whole grain such as rice, quinoa, farro
- 1½ tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil
- add oil to wok or fry pan and heat over medium heat
- once heated, add the onions and garlic cook for about a minute
- add the broccoli, cabbage and peppers cook until they begin to soften
- add the zucchini and peas - cook for for approximately one minute more
- remove the vegetables from the heat and place in a separate bowl
- mix the ingredients of sauce together and set aside
- add the eggs to the pan and scramble -once eggs are cooked add the chicken, quinoa and vegetables to pan add the sauce and mix well
- garish with chopped fresh scallions
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***