Baked eggs and kale are a healthy, filling and tasty breakfast.
Once again another month is flying by and it’s Secret Recipe Club time again. This month I was assigned to Stephanie’s blog at Dessert Before Dinner. Stephanie started her blog a few years back to keep track of her favorite recipes. She draws inspiration for her blog from cookbooks, family recipes and other blogs. Her inspiration has worked well for her, she has a lot of really tasty sounding recipes on her site such as the Jerk Chicken Summer Rolls, Flax Seed Porter Bread and Sourdough Flax Seeded Crackers which are all on my to do list for the winter.
I chose the Kale Baked Eggs recipe. Even though breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I suffer from breakfast boredom. And this recipe seemed to be anything but boring, especially since sauteed kale and garlic are involved. It’s easy to put together, and I chose to make my eggs in individual ramekins so that extras would be easy for a grab and go breakast during the week. Here is Stephanie’s recipe and I’ve also included it below. I didn’t change a thing.
- 4 eggs
- half an onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch kale, stalks removed and coarsely chopped
- grated gruyere/parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil and add the kale, cover and cook on low until kale is wilted.
- Add salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Place a scoop of wilted kale into ramekins
- Make an indentation in the kale for the egg(s) in each dish and place in the oven
- Bake eggs for 10 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- A couple minutes before they're done, sprinkle eggs with cheese.
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***
UPDATED September 28, 2016