These lighter and healthier baked jalapeno poppers are not lighter on flavor that’s for sure. Made with only a few ingredients, they are super easy to put together and are perfect for game day or any event!
Most of the jalapeno poppers are made with cream cheese and cheddar cheese, and they are delicious! But I can’t help but help feeling a little guilty about all of that cheese interfering with the healthy benefits of a pepper. So I decided to give them a healthy twist.
Instead of cream cheese, I used Icelandic yogurt, cut back on the amount cheddar cheese and I topped them off with a sprinkle of whole wheat panko bread crumbs for some crunch. Yogurt has more protein than cream cheese and is lower in calories and sodium. AND the best part about yogurt – the ingredient list is a short one; only milk and live active cultures (aka probiotics) which are good for your digestive system.Lighter and healthier jalapeno poppers are not light on flavor, that's for sure! Click To Tweet
Let’s face it, we all need to snack once in a while, so why not make it a healthy snack? If you are looking for more healthy appetizers, try out these caprese quesadillas
- 8 jalapeno peppers
- one 5 ounce container of Icelandic yogurt
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar or jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ tablespoons whole wheat panko
- a few sprigs of cilantro for garnish - optional
- NOTE: If you are not familiar with Icelandic yogurt - it's similar to Greek yogurt with a thicker texture. There are a few brands available, if you can't find it, Greek yogurt will work too, it won't be thick.
- preheat oven to 375
- slice the jalapenos in half length wise and remove the seeds and ribs and set aside
- mix the yogurt, cheese, and cumin together
- fill each half with the yogurt mixture
- place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the panko
- bake in a 375 oven for 20 - 25 miniutes
- garnish with fresh cilantro
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***