This black bean soup is spicy and smokey with a hint of chocolate.
This is a thick and hearty black bean soup that you might be tempted to call black bean chili, but it’s much better when you eat it with a spoon. It is filled with chunky vegetables and beans making it an excellent source of fiber and protein. It’s also vegan, gluten and super easy to make.
Even though it’s just a matter of placing ingredients into the slow cooker, a little bit of planning is required – soaking the beans. I use dry beans in this recipe because the soup tastes sooo much better when the beans cook slow and absorb all of the yummy flavors of they soup as it cooks. If you are crunched for time, you can also use canned beans.
If you like your soup less chunky, you can blend half of the soup with a blender just before serving for a smoother texture. Garnish the soup with your choice of toppings such as fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, cheese, avocado, Greek yogurt, and a side salad for a hearty and nourishing meatless meal.
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pound package of black beans that have been soaked overnight
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons organic cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Place the first 11 ingredients into slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours
- Stir in the lime juice, orange juice, cacao powder and cilantro. Cook for 15 to 30 minutes more on high
- If you prefer a thickened soup, place an immersion blender into the soup to and blend until soup has reached your preferred texture. Alternatively remove two cups of soup and place into a blender and blend then add back to the soup.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro, green onions, Greek yogurt, chopped avocado.
- Canned beans can be substituted for dried beans – my recommendation for canned beans is Eden Organic Black Beans
- To soak the beans place one pound of beans in a bowl and cover with 5 cups of water. Set aside for at least six hours. Drain the beans and rinse.
- To quick soak the beans — place beans in a bowl and cover with boiling water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***