Onions are cooked slowly in a mixture of olive oil and butter until they turn into golden- brown and deliciously sweet caramelized onions.
Onions are naturally sweet and when you cook them low and slow allowing the sugars to break down, they become even sweeter and insanely flavorful. Caramelized onions are a bit time consuming to make, but some foods just need to take their time to taste delicious.
It starts with sliced onions – any kind will do. Then add some olive oil, a splash of butter and a pinch of salt. Some people like to add a little bit of sugar, but I think they are sweet enough all by themselves.
The onions cook slowly while they sweat and break down during the caramelization process. This takes about 30 to 40 minutes, which is mostly hands-off time.
Caramelized onions can turn an ordinary dish into an amazingly delicious creation. Try them on top of a pizza, hamburgers, steak, or grilled chicken. Use them to kick up the flavor in your favorite soups, stews, and sauces. They can also be frozen for future use.
Here’s the recipe. . .
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon unsalted organic butter
- a pinch of sea salt
- Using a sharp knife or mandolin slice the onions thin
- heat the skillet over medium to low heat
- add the oil and butter, once butter has melted add the onions and sprinkle with sea salt
- Allow the onions to sit undisturbed for about 5 to 8 minutes, then stir them and allow them to sit again - check the onions every 5 minutes or so and giving them a stir each time.
- If they begin to stick to the pan add some water and continue to check and stir - until they begin to turn brown - 30 to 40 minutes later
VARIATIONS. . .
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar or red wine
- For a vegan version omit butter
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***