Slow cooked carnitas chicken is slow cooked in a combination of citrus juices until all of the flavors magically blend together. Prepare a double batch and dinner is covered for two nights.
I just love simple recipes, and this recipe most definitely falls into that category. There are only 9 ingredients which are placed in a slow cooker and left to cook for several hours.
Typically carnitas (literally translated as “little meats”) is made from pork shoulder that is well seasoned and marinated in hot lard and then slow cooked. I skipped the pork shoulder and the hot lard, but used the seasonings and fresh squeezed citrus juice.
Once the meat is done, serve it in a tortilla, bowl or place it on top of a salad made with your favorite salad ingredients. I used organic romaine lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, onions and avocado.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- Mix the seasonings together
- place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker and evenly spread the seasoning mix on top
- next add the garlic and onions pour the juice over all and cook on low for about 4 hours or high for 2 hours
- Shred the chicken with two forks and reduce heat to warm until ready to serve
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***