These mini veggie frittatas are the perfect solution for a quick, easy and healthy breakfast.
It’s time once again for Secret Recipe Club , and this month I have been assigned to Heather at Join Us, Pull Up a Chair. Heather started her blog for the same reason as I did a few years ago to organize her ever expanding collection of recipes. Heather sounds like a very busy lady too! She is wife, a mom of 2 children, has a a full time job and her own business. Wow! That just tires me out thinking about all that she has going on. On her blog, Heather has a variety of recipes ranging from appetizers and desserts to main dishes, side dishes and more. She recently posted a recipe for avocado brownies which I am going to try to make soon because anything with avocados is a must try for me, especially when brownies are involved 🙂 .
I chose Heather’s recipe for Mini Veggie Frittatas – such a great idea to make eggs in little cups so you can grab them during the week for a quick breakfast. I have to admit, breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day, I’m usually hungry in the morning and just want to eat. So the quicker I can grab something the better, and these are just perfect for that. These tasty little breakfast bites come together rather quickly too, just mix up your eggs, pour them over the veggies, and bake them.
The best part about the mini frittatas is that you can change up what you add to them so they won’t get boring. I’m thinking spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms for the next time I make these. This time I took Heather’s suggestion and added some diced potatoes along with the peppers, and it was delicious. Here is Heather’s recipe and mine is below. I didn’t not change anything, except to add potatoes, and since I added the potatoes I decided to give them a head start in the cooking process by browning them in a pan with the veggies before adding them to the eggs.
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil - plus 1 teaspoon to oil pan
- 4 eggs
- 3 Tbsp low-fat milk
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup cheese, shredded (any kind will work)
- ⅓ cup green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon diced onions
- ⅓ cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 small yukon gold potato diced
- pre-heat oven to 375
- place 1 tablespoon oil to pan and heat over medium heat
- place the potatoes, mushrooms and onions into a skillet and cook until they begin to soften - about 5 minutes
- mix the eggs and milk together and set aside
- using additional oil to smear into each muffin cup (12 to 16) size works best or you will need to use two 9 cup pans
- fill each tin with a spoonful of vegetable mixture
- pour egg mixture over top until each cup is ¾ filled (about a tablespoon)
- bake in the oven for 12 to 16 minutes