A unique and flavorful twist on traditional chili, this bison chili is packed with vegetables, black beans and bison.
If you have never had bison, I suggest you give it a try. It’s healthier alternative to beef. It’s leaner, yet deliciously tender and light tasting. It’s rich in protein and is a good source of iron, Omega3s and vitamin B12. Even better, bison are raised on ranches or real farms which means they are grass fed for at least most if not all of their lives, making them a sustainable choice. Bison is super flavorful and it blends well with the unique ingredients used in this chili.
Bison is considered America’s original red meat and can be a bit pricey due to the way it is raised, but it’s well worth it. When I use ground bison in chili, I pile in the vegetables and beans to stretch it out. And it doesn’t hurt to eat a little less meat. This recipe easily feeds 6 to 8 hungry people. Left-overs can be used in tacos, salads or nachos during the week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno peper diced
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coco powder
- ¼ cup coffee
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups black beans
- ⅛ cup of chopped cilantro
- heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat
- add buffalo, onion an garlic - cook until meat begins to brown and vegetables become translucent
- add the peppers and cook until they soften - about three minutes
- add the dry seasonings and mix well
- stir in the coffee, tomatoes, and black beans
- cover loosely and reduce to a simmer
- cook for 45 to 50 minutes stirring occasionally
- Just before serving add the cilantro
- You can easily substitute, grass fed lean ground beef, organic ground chicken or turkey in this recipe.
- Paleo Option – Omit Beans
MY INGREDIENT PICKS:
- Eden Organic Black Beans – No Salt Added or Eden Organic Dried Black Beans
- Kirkland Organic Olive Oil
- Navitas Naturals Organic Cacao Powder
- Simply Organic Chili Powder
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***