Tabbouleh is traditionally made of tomatoes, bulgur, onion and lots of chopped parsley. I make a big bowl of this so I can enjoy it for lunch during the week. The chickpeas add protein so all that’s needed is a bed of greens to serve this over for a healthy and satisfying lunch. Since cauliflower is in season this time of year, my first choice is to make tabbouleh with cauliflower rice.
In honor of World Vegetarian Day on October first and Vegetarian Awareness month in October, #SundaySupper members are kicking off the celebration of glorious vegetables by sharing favorite vegetable dishes this week. As the tomatoes in my garden are slowly dwindling and cauliflower is in season, I decided to make one of my favorite vegetable dishes.
I haven’t always been a fan of cauliflower, but that’s changed. It’s come a long way over the past several years, and it’s versatility continues to amaze me! It can be riced, roasted, mashed, made into a cream sauce and even pizza crust. If you haven’t tried it riced, now is your chance. All that’s necessary to “rice” it is a food processor, a grater or a sharp knife. I like to rice my cauliflower in the food processor which is the quickest way.
The most time consuming part about making this salad is making the “rice.” Once it’s ready, the vegetables are mixed in with the dressing. So why not join in the vegetable celebration and eat more veggies in October and every month for that matter? You can get started by checking out the 40+ recipes from fellow #SundaySupper members below. And many thanks to Susan at the Wimpy Vegetarian for hosting this event!
- 1 small head cauliflower
- ½ cup dice cucumbers
- 3 to 4 sliced green onions
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 1 cup chick peas
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- break the cauliflower into pieces and place in food processor - process until cauliflower looks like rice -you may need to do this in batches for even texture. Place "rice" into a bowl
- add the onions, cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley and gently stir
- whisk the dressing together - pour into bowl and mix well
- **This can be made with bulgur in place of cauliflower by soaking 1 cup of bulgur in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Baked Eggplant Parmigiana by Powered By BLING
- Burrito Stuffed Peppers by Shockingly Delicious
- Butternut Squash Chili with Beans by The Chef Next Door
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash Fries with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Tomato & Feta Crustless Quiche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Tomato Vegetable Casserole by Beauty and the Beets
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Pasta Alfredo by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.