This recipe is super easy to make too. All you have to do is add the ingredients except for the cacao power to a food processor and blend for a minute or two. Let the mixture chill for a bit, roll them into balls and coat them with cacao powder and that’s it!
Dates are one of my go to sweeteners, and even though they have 16 grams of sugar, they are a much better alternative than refined sugar when that sweet tooth hits. The sugar in dates is natural sugar (fructose, glucose and sucrose) which gives the body a quick burst of energy.
Medjool dates are an excellent source of vitamins, fiber and essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc. I love the versatility of them, they can be eaten plain, stuffed with nut butter, made into caramel or a paste. And they are much better than candy in more ways than one!
- 14 pitted medjool dates
- ¾ cup coconut flakes
- ¾ cup whole raw unsalted almonds
- 1½ tablespoons cacao powder for dipping
- place the dates, coconut and almonds in a food processor
- process until all ingredients form a paste
- place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- roll into ½ balls
- roll each ball in cacao powder