It’s the Zespri SunGold kiwi fruit that makes these grilled marinated chicken breasts tender, juicy and flavorful.
“I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Have you ever heard of Zespri SunGold kiwifruit? I know it sounds like a mouthful to say, but it’s a delicious mouthful! I’ve only recently been hearing about SunGold Kiwifruit, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to participate in this contest sponsored by The Recipe Redux because these little golden gems are so delicious. SunGold Kiwifruit is a bit of a twist on the green kiwifruit with the fuzzy skin that we are used to seeing. SunGold Kiwifruit is golden inside and has no fuzzy skin!
I’ve also learned a new way to eat kiwifruit without peeling it, just scoop it out of of the skin and eat it with a spoon. The scooping technique also makes it easy to scoop out the flesh and and slice or mash it up for your favorite recipe.
Kiwifruit contains an enzyme called actinidin which helps to break protein down, making it an excellent choice for a meat tenderizer. So I smashed up two kiwifruit and added some seasonings and used it to marinate boneless chicken breasts. The result was amazingly tender chicken breasts with a tropical-like flavor. I used the remaining two kiwifruit to serve on the side in a watermelon and kiwifruit salsa.
Kiwifruit not only tastes delicious, one serving size (2 kiwifruit) contains three times more vitamin C than an orange and as much potassium as a medium banana. So in addition to eating a delicious dinner, the marinade and salsa added extra nutrition to our meal! I can’t wait to try my new marinade on pork and beef 🙂
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- FOR THE MARINADE
- 2 SunGold Kiwifruit - smashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic - crushed
- FOR THE SALSA
- 2 SunGold Kiwifruit diced
- ¾ cup watermelon diced
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix the marinade ingredients and pour half of it over the chicken breasts and marinate for 30 minutes and set remainder aside
- meanwhile make the salsa by adding combining all ingredients and setting aside
- heat the grill over medium heat and place the chicken breasts
- cook on grill for 8 minutes and flip over - cook for another 5 to 8 minutes more until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees
- heat the remaining marinade in a small sauce pan over medium heat and pour over chicken breasts
- serve with salsa on the side