These soft baked healthier magic cookie bars taste just like the traditional magic cookie bars with less guilt.
Some people call them seven layer bars and some people call them magic cookie bars. Whatever you want to call them, they are crazy GOOD! They are layers of chocolate-y rich, sweet and coconut-y goodness.
I haven’t had these cookie bars since I kicked the refined sugar habit a few years ago. This year I decided it was time to give them a serious make-over so I could add them back to my Christmas cookie collection. The makeover was a success! These cookies are gluten free, vegan, lower in sugar and made with natural ingredients.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 cups walnut pieces divided
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- place the dates into a food processor and process until they are in tiny pieces or form into a ball and remove
- place the 1½ cups walnuts into the food processor and process until they become crumbly
- add the dates back to the processor and process until they form a stiff dough
- line an 8X8 baking dish with parchment paper and press the dough down using your hands. Take another piece of parchment paper and place it over the dough and run your hands or back of spoon over to smooth it out
- layer the chocolate chips, coconut flakes and walnuts on top of the "crust"
- mix the coconut milk with syrup and pour it over the layered mixture
- place in oven and bake for 20 minutes - until coconut begins to turn golden and chocolate melts
Chestnut Praline Latte Cookies from A Palatable Pastime
Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies from Family Around the Table
Coffee Cake Cookies from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Healthy Magic Cookie Bars from Simple and Savory
Peppermint Meringues from Feeding Big
Pyraniki from A Day in the Life on the Farm
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***