Whole wheat linguine with portabello mushrooms and arugula is a quick and inexpensive dinner for hectic weeknights.
When people ask me if eating healthy food is expensive, my answer is always yes, it can be, but it doesn’t have to be. I choose to eat organic and sustainable and even local foods whenever I can, and the meat is the most expensive part. My trade off is to eat less of it, which is a win win in my opinion. Eating less meat is better for the environment, my health and my wallet.
While we are on the subject of wallets, The Recipe Redux theme this month is about budget friendly healthy eats, and I’m happy to prove that you can eat healthy on a budget. I made this pasta dish with organic ingredients and the cost per serving is a little over $3.00. Budget friendly healthy dinners are do-able even when you use organic ingredients!
Here’s the breakdown. . .
Organic Arugula $.62
Organic Linguine $.25
Organic Mushrooms $ .75
Organic Zucchini $ .50
Sun Dried Tomatoes $ .47
Garlic, oil & Wine $1.00
This tasty dinner is quick, easy and loaded with vegetables which means healthy! Just about everything is cooked in one skillet so there is little cleaning up to do. Serve with a side salad for a filling and nutritious dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms sliced thin
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 ounces uncooked linguine
- ½ cup sun dried tomaotes julienned
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 zucchini spiralized
- ¾ dry white wine
- heat oil in a skillet over medium heat
- while oil is heating boil the water for the pasta and cook according to package directions
- once oil is hot add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat until they begin to brown
- add the white wine and sun dried tomatoes - reduce heat to low let cook for approximately 5 minutes more and stir in the arugula
- add the zucchini noodles and the drained pasta to the skillet mix well
- To make this recipe gluten free choose gluten free pasta that’s made from brown rice, quinoa or chick peas
- Swap out zucchini noodles for 2 ounces of uncooked linguine
If you are you ready for some more budget friendly meals, click on the picture below. . .
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***