This cool cucumber salad is a combination of cucumbers and onions that are soaked in slightly sweetened vinegar ~ perfect for a side dish at a summer gathering.
This week’s theme for #SundaySupper is in honor of mom. . .
“Mother’s Day is May 8th. Let’s honor our moms by making their favorite recipes. Whether it’s a favorite recipe mom made throughout the years or the recipe they love to eat, bring your mom’s favorite to our #SundaySupper virtual dinner on Sunday, May 1st in honor of Mother’s Day 2016.”
I inherited my love of food from my mother who was an excellent cook. She rarely used a recipe when she prepared meals for us, yet she always knew how to combine the right flavors together which resulted in clean plates. When I first started cooking for myself, I would give her new recipes that I would find in cookbooks or magazines to try and it would always, always taste much better when she made it. It was unfortunate for us that she did not have many of her recipes recorded because my siblings and I are left trying to guess how she made some of our favorites.
Mom loved to entertain family and friends. In fact, nothing made her happier than to have a crowd gathered around the table enjoying her home cooked feasts. The summer was her favorite season to entertain because we could eat at out doors, which meant room for more guests. The one dish that was a constant at summer gatherings was cucumbers in vinegar, plain and simple, but the bowl was always empty at the end of dinner. This is one of those dishes that almost doesn’t need a recipe, so I can’t blame mom for not writing this one down. But I did have to do some experimenting until I was able to get the perfect balance of sweet and tart just like she did. This is really easy to make, and if there are left-overs they taste even better the next day.
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- pepper to taste
- with a sharp knife or mandolin slice the cucumbers and onions very thin
- place the onions and cucumbers into a bowl; sprinkle with salt and sugar and mix well
- set aside for at least one hour
- add the vinegar and stir - adjust with pepper and sugar to taste
- top with fresh dill
- If vinegar is strong, add a few tablespoons of water to taste.
A big thank you to the co-hosts of this week’s event . . . Christie Campbell of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Wendy Leep Hammond of Wholistic Woman. Be sure to check out all of the other #SundaySupper members mother’s favorites below.
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie