You will not miss the meat in these vegan meatballs -they are perfect for an appetizer or light dinner.
“I received free samples of California walnuts mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Walnut Commission and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
When I read about the “We Heart Walnuts Recipe Challenge” that is being sponsored by California Walnuts and hosted by The Recipe Redux, I knew that I had to participate. Walnuts are one of my many pantry staples because of their versatility and health benefits. I sprinkle walnuts on salads, vegetables, oatmeal, yogurt and smoothies. They are also a great snack that keeps you feeling full, and did I mention they are delicious too?
I often use walnuts in meatless dishes because they are a good source of protein. One ounce of walnuts contains four grams of protein and two grams of fiber which makes them very filling. When they are combined with portobello mushrooms they have a very meaty texture that will fool just about any meat lover.
This recipe was inspired from a dish my mother used to make ~ cocktail meatballs cooked in grape jelly. They were pretty tasty, but pre-made meatballs cooked in sugary jelly just doesn’t sound right any more. So I decided to make a vegan version of meatballs made with California walnuts and portobello mushrooms topped with a naturally sweetened raspberry sauce. A much healthier version indeed!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax seed with 3 tablespoons water) or 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- clean the mushrooms and break into pieces
- place pieces into a food process until crumbly
- add oil to a saute pan and heat over medium heat - add the mushrooms, garlic and onion
- cook until the onions begin to soften
- turn heat to low
- place the walnuts into a food processor and process until crumbly
- add the walnuts to the pan and combine all ingredients
- add the flax egg, herbs, tamari, and nutritional and mix well - let mixture cool
- form the mixture into ¼ inch balls
- place on a well oiled pan or parchment paper lined pan
- bake for 10 minutes
- Make the Sauce (while meatballs are cooking):
- add the raspberries to a sauce pan and heat over medium to low heat
- stir occasionally - as they heat they will break apart add the syrup and reduce heat to low
- once mixture thins to a liquid texture turn heat off
- Spoon the sauce over the "meatballs" and reserve sauce for the side
Be sure to check out my Turtle Walnut Brownie recipe along with walnut recipes from other reduxers below . . .