Skip the corned beef and try these grilled turkey burgers that are topped with homemade sauerkraut and swiss cheese for a twist on the traditional reuben sandwich.This is a little bit of burger meets one of my unhealthy favorites – reuben sandwich. Fortunately, I enjoy the sauerkraut more than anything else in a reuben sandwich so I decided to ditch the processed meat and replace it with a seasoned organic turkey burger. It’s the perfect companion for the sauerkraut, swiss cheese and a dollop of mustard.
Ground turkey is a much healthier option than corned beef. It’s lower in fat, salt and does not contain nitrates. Top these burgers off with a splash of Dijon mustard and grilled rye bread. This will satisfy any craving for a reuben sandwich in a healthy kind of way!
- pre-heat grill to medium heat
- 1 pound organic ground turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons shredded onion
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 heaping tablespoons sauerkraut get my homemade recipe here
- 4 thin slices organic swiss cheese
- rye bread - optional
- mix the onion and meat together and form into 4 - ¼ pound patties
- place the burgers on the grill - cover and cook for 8 minutes
- turn the burgers over and add a heaping tablespoon or more of sauerkraut to each burger and top with Swiss cheese
- cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes more
- serve on toasted or grilled rye bread with mustard
PIN IT FOR LATER!
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***