The bold and vibrant flavors in this Southwestern Chicken soup blend perfectly together to make this comforting soup a filling meal.
I decided to take a break from Thanksgiving food today and share one of my favorite soup recipes. It’s that time of year when we are busier than usual and I thought you might just be looking for a slow cooked soup recipe to help get you through the holidays.
There is something about a pot of soup that fills up your home with scents of deliciousness while it cooks all day. If you are like me, you might be thinking about dinner maybe a little more than you should while you enjoy the aroma of the soup. Not only does it smell amazing as it cooks away, it’s equally as delicious. It’s thick, it’s hearty, it’s loaded with chicken, black beans and vegetables.
This soup tastes great all by itself, or you can add your favorite toppings such as chopped avocado, Greek yogurt, cheese , crushed organic tortilla chip or any other favorite topping. Serve with a side salad for a full meal, and enjoy!The bold and vibrant flavors in this Southwestern Chicken make this a comforting dinner Click To Tweet
- This soup can be made vegetarian/vegan by leaving the chicken out and using vegetable broth.
- A combination of broth and water can be used instead of all broth or all water.
- ¾ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups cold water or vegetable broth
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes
- 1 diced red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper small dice - optional
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons oregano
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Place chicken through oregano into a slow cooker and cook on low for at least 4 hours
- Remove chicken and shred and return back to slow cooker
- Add the beans and cook for one hour longer
- Add the fresh cilantro and serve
A 50/50 mixture of broth and water can be used instead of all broth or all water in either version
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***