Just take one bite of these spicy black bean burgers and you will be asking for more. They are healthy, zesty and spicy.
I can’t think of many people that will turn away a good burger, and most meat eaters and vegans will agree a good burger does not have to be made from meat. But just so we are clear here. . . a meatless burger will never taste like a hamburger. . . because it isn’t made from meat! End of story. When meatless burgers are seasoned and spiced properly, they can be tasty and satisfying enough so you won’t feel deprived because you are eating a wimpy meatless burger.
“Spice is nice and some like it hot. . .
Do you love spicy food or do you like it mild? This is the week to exemplify your fondness for some good kickin’ heat or maybe a little sweet spice! What might you do with that ghost pepper? Use it in a recipe or hang it as decoration while you pull out the cinnamon and nutmeg? Don’t forget that a little sweet goes really well with all that heat (think atomic fireballs!) and let’s come up with some amazing recipes to share with all our SundaySupper fans!”
I like it hot, so I decided to cook up some spicy black bean burgers for this SundaySupper. Beans are loaded with fiber and are an excellent source of protein making them a healthy alternative for meat. These burgers are filling and are super easy to make. I made them all in one pan. First, I sauteed peppers, onions and garlic and added the beans.
Then I mashed the mixture with a potato masher, making sure to leave some whole bean pieces throughout for a nice texture. Next I added the spices and a binder. I used a flax egg to bind and keep this vegan but an egg will do. I formed the mixture into patties and cooked them in the same skillet, after a quick rinse of the skillet.
These burgers are a bit delicate so they should be handled with care while cooking. Top them off with any of your favorite condiments or toppings and Enjoy!
If you are looking for more meatless burgers, check out my mushroom veggie burgers.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil - divided
- ½ cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 cups black beans - if using canned drain and rinse
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic dark cacao
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ - 1 chopped jalapeno pepper to taste
- Flax egg (1 tablespoon of flax seed meal soaked in 3 tablespoons water) OR 1 egg
- heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat
- add the garlic, peppers and onions cook until they begin to soften
- add the beans, turn the heat off and using a fork or masher mash the mixture
- add the spices and cacao and mix well
- mix in the (flax) egg or one egg
- add the lime juice, cilantro and jalapeno and combine
- form the mixture into patties
- heat remaining oil in a a skillet over medium heat
- place the patties in the skillet and cook for approximately 5 minutes; flip and cook 5 minutes more
Don’t leave so soon! Check out these hot and spicy recipes from my fellow SundaySupper members:
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cajun Shrimp Dip byCooking with Carlee
- Harissa Lamb Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Hungry Goddess
- Jalapeno Cheddar Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoky Jalapeno Pineapple Salsa by Dash of Evans
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Meatballs by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Spicy Peach Chicken Wings by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Spicy Sugared Cashews by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Peanut Butter Cookies by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Cinnamon Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Pies and Plots
- Peppercorn Shortbread by The Finer Cookie
- Spicy Fudge Brownies by The Chef Next Door
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken & Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Karahi (Pakistani Chicken Curry) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers by Feeding Big and more
- Chickpea, lentil and spinach curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Devil’s Chicken by Monica’s Table
- East Indian Chard and Lentils by Wholistic Woman
- Fried Chicken with a Kick by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops by Cooking Chat
- Hella-peno Burger by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza by Hardly A Goddess
- Kung Pao Chicken by Palatable Pastime
- Lomo Saltado by Tramplingrose
- Spicy black bean burgers by Simple and Savory
- Spicy Penne all’arrabbiata by She Loves Biscotti
- Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sweet Chili Pork by Cookin’ Mimi
- Tunisian Garlic Chickpea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Baked Sriracha Sweet Potato Fries by Magnolia Days
- Easy to Make Cabbage Kimchi (MAK KIMCHI) by kimchi MOM
- Green Mango Sambal by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Potato Salad with Spicy Picada Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Plus Homemade Ginger Ale and Spice is Nice Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Just take one bite of these spicy black bean burgers and you will be asking for more.