Change up your egg scramble with this veggie and protein packed scramble made with tofu.
Most of us think a breakfast scramble is made with eggs, but tofu is a tasty option too. This is one of my favorite breakfast scrambles. It’s made with sauteed greens, garlic, mushrooms and tofu.
When the tofu is crumbled up and mixed with vegetables, it looks and tastes just like scrambled eggs. It takes just minutes to prepare and is a very filling breakfast.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 diced cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- ¼ cup shredded kale (or your favorite green)
- ¼ block of organic tofu
- 1 teaspoon tamari sauce
- heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat
- add the onions and mushrooms and onions - cook until they begin to soften and remove from pan
- add the garlic and tofu and cook until garlic begins to soften add the greens - cook until they begin to wilt
- stir in the tamari sauce.
- Serve as is or with your favorite hot sauce sprinkled on top.
Make a vegetarian version: Scramble two eggs with 1 tablespoon milk and omit the tamari sauce,
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT SOY: There has been a lot of controversy about soy over the past few years which you can read about here. My take — (unless you have been told otherwise by your health professional) consume it in moderation and only buy organic only to avoid GMOs and nasty chemicals.
If you are hungry for more breakfast options with vegetables, check out my recipe for baked eggs and kale
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***
UPDATED September 28, 2016