Vegetarian burrito bowls are made with spicy tofu, beans, rice, and vegetables.
Making your own burrito bowls is a much healthier choice, they are lower in calories, and you can choose what you put into them. Even though the ingredient list for this recipe is not short, this dinner can be put together rather quickly. Most of the time spent preparing is chopping vegetables and cooking the rice which can be done a day or two before when you are prepping another meal.
In this recipe, I prepared the tofu similar to sofritas that is served at Chipotle restaurants. Sofritas comes from the Spanish word sofrito which means gently fried. It is used in Latin American cooking as a base for stews, soups and rice and beans.
My version of sofritas has enough liquid in it to allow the rice to soak it up. Once the sofritas are cooked, pile the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and enjoy all of the fresh and spicy flavors as they join together in your mouth.
Tofu, the main ingredient in sofritas is made from soy which is one of the most genetically modified foods. When you buy tofu, be sure to purchase Organic Tofu that is labeled Non-GMO verified such as Nasoya.
- SPICE MIX
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 11/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- ½ medium onion diced small
- 2 tablespoons diced chipotle peppers adobo sauce
- 1 cup water or Mexican beer
- 1 jalapeno with seeds removed and diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce, baby lettuce, spinach or a combination
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups cooked or canned black beans
- 1 avocado sliced
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese - optional
- Salsa to taste
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- 2 - 3 cups of chopped romaine, baby lettuce, spinach or any combination
- Rinse and drain the tofu then cover with paper towels and place between two small plates to release more liquid
- while tofu is draining, mix the spices together and set aside
- heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat
- add the onions and garlic and cook until they begin to soften
- add 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture - mix well and then stir in the chipotle peppers, jalapenos, and the beer or water
- stir in the tomato paste, crumble the tofu and add to pan
- simmer for 10 minutes until the flavors have been combined
- while the tofu is simmering add beans to a saucepan and heat over low heat.
- stir in the remaining spice mixture with ½ cup of beer or water; cook until heated through (5-10 minutes)
- assemble the bowls dividing the ingredients into 4 portions and layer in bowls
- serve garnished with sliced
only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="157" data-gr-id="157">avocados,salsa and cheddar cheese
VARIATIONS. . .
- Season 1/2 pound lean ground beef, chicken or turkey with seasoning mixture in place of the tofu
- Leave tofu and meat out, sprinkle seasoning mix over beans and 1/2 of the liquid simmer on low for 10 minutes
MY INGREDIENT PICKS. . .
Please note that these are affiliate links which means if you click on it and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. I only recommend products that I use. Thanks for supporting Simple and Savory!
- Simply Organic Oregano
- Simply Organic Chili Powder
- Simply Organic Cumin
- Organic Brown Rice
- Nasoya Organic Extra Firm Tofu
- Eden Organic Black Beans
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***