This time of year, my garden is overflowing with more than zucchini, peppers and tomatoes which are ripening faster than I can keep up with. Here is a picture of what I have been taking from my garden almost daily since mid July:
Now that August is here, the tomatoes are outnumbering the squash.
When tomatoes are fresh from the garden they are perfectly fine just the way they are; but when you mix them with onions and fresh herbs and a little olive oil, yum! This is a perfect side dish at dinner or add to a bed of field greens or arugula for a quick lunch.
1 Pint of Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
1/2 Red Onion
1/2 Cup Chopped Basil
1/8 Cup Chopped Oregano
1 Clove of Garlic
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place in a bowl
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and slice into 1/4 inch slices and place in bowl
- Slice the onion and add to the tomatoes
- Add Basil and Oregano and toss ingredients
- Top with dressing and combine well