There’s nothing like a garden fresh tomato tart. Tomatoes and caramelized onions are layered on top of a quinoa pesto crust and drizzled with basil pesto, this is summer at its best!
Summer is winding down, but the tomato harvest is still going strong here in New Jersey, which makes me happy because I never get sick of fresh tomatoes! Even though there are a several steps, this tart is so simple to put together, especially when you have some left over quinoa to use up. Cooked quinoa is mixed an egg and pesto sauce then pressed into a pie pan and baked.
While the crust bakes, the onions caramelize and the pesto is made.
It all comes together by placing sliced tomatoes and caramelized onions on top of the crust with a drizzle of pesto and a dash of Parmesan cheese.
- For the Pesto Sauce:
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- ¼ olive oil
- ⅛ cup chopped walnut pieces or 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup pesto sauce
- For the Tart:
- 1 tablespoon organic butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes sliced
- ⅛ to ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Make the pesto by placing the garlic and nuts in a food processor and process until they are in small pieces and add the basil and process until basil is coarsely chopped, add the oil and blend well - set aside
- Make the crust place the quinoa into a bowl, add the egg and pesto mix - combine well.
- brush a coating of olive oil onto an 8 inch pie place and then press the quinoa mixture into the pan
- bake for approximately 20 minutes until edges begin to brown - and remove from oven
- while crust is baking make the onions
- melt butter in a pan and add the onions and stir gently ensuring they are coated with butter, stir onions every 10 minutes until they become very soft and turn brown - continue to cook until they reach desired flavor - approximately 30 to 40 minutes in total
- Put it together
- place the sliced tomatoes on top of the crust
- top with onions
- drizzle with pesto sauce
- and top with Parmesan cheese, bake for 10 minutes more
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***