This is a hearty vegetable soup that is simple, comforting and completely delicious. It’s packed with vegetables, pasta, white bean balls and homemade vegetable broth. It is truly a filling meal all in one bowl.
Even though the ingredient list is lengthy, this recipe can be put together in less than an hour. The bean balls are made first. While they are cooking, the soup is put together. Unlike meatballs, bean balls are fragile, so they should be added to each bowl when it’s time to serve the soup. The best way to eat this soup is to mash up the bean balls, they add an intense garlicky flavor to the soup that will have you asking for a second helping.
This soup is vegan, and can easily be made gluten free by using gluten-free pasta. This recipe was inspired by Wedding Soup with White Bean Balls and Kale from the Thug Kitchen Official Cookbook. It was a Christmas gift and it has a lot of tasty vegan recipes that are appealing to meat eaters. It’s also quite entertaining as long as you have a sense of humor 🙂 .
- For the white bean balls
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups dried and cooked or canned white beans
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ⅛ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- For the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 small to medium zucchini diced
- ¼ cup small whole wheat or gluten free pasta - uncooked
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Make the Bean Balls
- pre-heat the oven to 425
- line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and apply a thin coating of olive oil
- mash the beans into a paste using a fork or food processor
- add the garlic, onion, nutritional yeast, tamari sauce, spices, lemon zest to the mashed beans and mix well.
- roll the mixture into ½ inch sized balls and place on baking sheet
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes - turning half way through cooking
- Remove from oven and set aside
- Make The Soup (while the bean balls are cooking)
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and add the garlic, carrot and onions. Cook until they begin to brown about 5 minutes
- add the pasta, zucchini, tomatoes and broth
- let simmer for about 10 minutes until pasta is soft
- stir in the lemon juice and greens and reduce heat to low until greens begin to wilt
- at this point the soup s done.
- place three or four balls into each bowl, add the soup and enjoy!
MY INGREDIENT PICKS:
Tresomega Nutrition Quinoa Pasta For Gluten Free Version
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***