Roasted butternut squash is combined with wheat berries, goat cheese and walnuts for healthy side dish that is a perfect compliment for any fall meal.
It’s fall, the temperatures are dropping, fall foods are on my mind and I’m ready to use my oven again. Butternut squash is the first fall veggie that think of when I think about roasting vegetables, and I just love the way the butternut squash tastes with wheat berries in this dish.
If you aren’t familiar with wheat berries, here’s a little wheat berry 101 for you . . . They are the complete whole grain of wheat before it has undergone processing. They are sweet and nutty tasting and can be served in place of rice, in soups or even for breakfast. Wheat berries are an excellent source of fiber, vitamins and even some protein.
This dish can be served chilled or at room temperature and it tastes great with roasted chicken and a salad like this Arugula and Fig Salad. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.
- 2 cups wheat berries - rinsed, drained and cooked
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- ¼ Cup Goat Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook wheat berries according to package, set aside
- While wheat berries are cooking toss squash, onion and thyme with oil, balsamic vinegar in rimmed baking sheet.
- Arrange in single layer and place in oven for 20 minutes; Toss every 5 minutes to ensure even browning.
- Remove from oven and cool
- Toss cooked Wheat berries, onions, butternut squash, walnuts and olive oil in large bowl. Garnish with goat cheese and serve.
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***