My garden is still producing plenty of my favorite vegetable; zucchini. My family may be sick of them by now, and I’m not at a loss for ways to prepare them. One of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini to to make zucchini “pasta.” When I turn zucchini into pasta like strands, I use one of my favorite kitchen tools, my julienne peeler.
It’s perfect for turning zucchini into pasta, which is much easier than making homemade pasta. Just peel the zucchini with the julienne peeler, and here’s what you end up with:
I thought some vegan Alfredo sauce might taste delicious on the strings of zucchini, and it did. It is just as filling as a bowl of Fettuccine Alfredo, sans the carbs and guilt!
And now for the recipe. . .
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Medium Zucchini Squash - Julienne Shredded - about 4 cups
1 Cup Cashews
1/2 Cup Water for Soaking the Cashews
1/2 Cup Water for Blending
3 to 4 Cloves of Coarsely Chopped Garlic
1/2 Tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast
- Julienne slice the zucchini and set aside
- Soak the cashews in enough water to cover to cashews (about 1/2 Cup) for at least an hour
- Discard the cashew water
- Add soaked cashews to a food processor and process for two to three minutes
- Add chopped garlic and process until well blended for about 30 seconds
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of water until cashews become similar in consistency to ricotta cheese.(the cashew sauce should be thick -- the zucchini will add the needed moisture)
- Add the nutritional yeast blend well - set mixture aside
- Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat and add the zucchini; cook for about 5 to 8 minutes until it becomes bright green in color - and to your desired texture
- Turn Zucchini into a pasta bowl - (if it seems watery drain for a few minutes in a strainer before adding to bowl)
- Stir the cashew mixture with the zucchini and enjoy!