Zucchini noodles served with lentils and marinara sauce has the look and feel of pasta with meat sauce without the extra carbs.
I originally posted this recipe a few years ago when I first discovered spiralized zucchini. I recently made this for dinner and I decided to re-post the recipe again since the pictures were taken with my phone, and I’ve since graduated from a hand held spiralizer to a tabletop version. And this is a recipe worth repeating. Once again zucchini is taking over my garden, and some of them are getting pretty big too! Stay tuned for more of my favorite zucchini recipes over the next few weeks.
The first time I made this “pasta” for my family, they were skeptical to say the least. They were wondering what type of crazy meal I was trying on them this time. Well, it didn’t take them long to clean their plates and and ask for more. It’s best in the summer when the zucchini is nice and fresh.
The flavor as well as the texture of the lentils in the marinara sauce makes this dish strangely (and amazingly) similar to ground meat in meat sauce. I used to use a hand held julienne shredder to make my zoodles a few years ago, and I now use the table top version. The table top version works like a charm. . .and as we are in full summer mode it’s my new favorite gadget!Zucchini noodles served with lentils and marinara sauce has the look and feel of pasta with… Click To Tweet
- 3 to 4 small to medium zucchini spiralized
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 15 ounce jar organic tomato sauce or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- Place water and lentils into a saucepan - bring to a boil
- lower heat and simmer until lentils are tender and most of the liquid evaporates about 30 minutes
- remove from heat and set aside
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and add the onions - suate for 5 minutes or until translucent
- add the garlic and saute for a minute more
- add the tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes on low
- add the herbs and simmer for 5 minutes more
- in a separate pan add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the zucchini pasta for 5 minutes or until desired tenderness
- divide the "pasta' between 4 bowls, top with a heaping spoon of lentils and top with sauce
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***