Fabulous Fall Beet Salad – A salad that’s made with marinated beets on top of a bed of arugula then sprinkled with goat cheese and walnuts.
I received free samples from Melissa’s produce to make this recipe. All opinions are my own.
Sometimes the simplest combinations of foods taste the best. I used to eat a local restaurant with my sister, and her favorite dish was a beet salad. She was absolutely wild about this simple salad. She didn’t care about the specials of the day as long as the beet salad was on the menu we were going to her favorite restaurant. In honor of my sister who is no longer with us, I re-created her favorite beet salad.
Fabulous Fall Beet Salad
I have to say, these packaged beets from Melissa’s produce make this salad a snap to make. The beets are pre-cooked and peeled which means no red hands. Even though I am a fresh is better kind of person, these beets are perfect for salads. They taste fresh, nothing like canned beets and they save tons of time.
The ingredient list is short, but there are a lot of flavors happening in this salad. It’s bitter, tart and sweet and they balance each other out. Assemble this salad just before serving to avoid the redness from the beets discoloring the rest of the salad. Here’s how you make it…
- 4 salad plates
- 1 package Melissa's ready to cook baby beets or 2 to 3 roasted beets peeled
- 1 5 ounce package organic baby arugula
- 3 to 4 ounces goat cheese
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together, and shake or mix well.
- cut the beets into quarters and pour ¼ of the dressing over them and set aside until ready to serve salad
- place baby arugula into a bowl, and a few tablespoons of dressing and toss
- place equal portions of arugula onto each plate
- top with beets, goat cheese and desired amount of dressing
If you are looking for another winter salad idea try this Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Strawberries
And for more Fall Bounty Recipes from my Blogger friends, click the link below. . .