Gluten-free Irish soda bread is a twist on traditional Irish soda bread. It’s made with almond flour which gives it a dash of protein and lowers the carb count.
Since it’s almost St. Patrick’s Day, I thought it was time to give an old family favorite a gluten free spin. When I was growing up, Irish Soda bread was a sure sign that spring was on the way. I can remember my mother baking it on a regular basis in early March and stayed around until after St. Patrick’s Day. She loved to bake and we loved to eat her soda bread 🙂 .
Traditional Irish soda bread is made with flour, buttermilk, baking soda and salt along with some optional add in’s like raisins and caraway seeds. This recipe is more of an American version which was inspired by my mother’s recipe. In addition to the traditional ingredients, mom added eggs and sour cream. I swapped out the wheat flour and added almond and brown rice flours along with flax-seed meal. I also replaced the sour cream with Greek yogurt. The combination of ingredients blend well to give this bread a dense yet moist texture. It even survived the taste test – my family didn’t even realize that this wasn’t made with wheat flour.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease one 9 inch round skillet or cake pan
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt,raisins, and caraway seeds in a large bowl
- In separate a separate bowl,beat the eggs lightly, add the buttermilk and yogurt and flaxseed meal
- Combine with the flour mixture using a spoon
- When all is mixed,turn dough into a round pan greased pan
- Bake for 45 minutes
My Healthy Ingredient Picks:
These are the ingredients that I use to make gluten free Irish soda bread. They are affiliate links which means that if you buy one of these products after clicking on it, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Simple and Savory!
- Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
- Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
- Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal
- Big Tree Farms Organic Coconut Sugar
- Bob’s Red Mill Baking Soda
- Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder
- Bob’s Red Mill Sun Dried Raisins
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***