A unique twist on traditional chili, this bison chili is packed with vegetables, black beans and bison. It’s spicy, smokey and full of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 large onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup brewed coffee
- 2 cups diced tomatoes fresh or canned
- 2 cups cooked or canned black beans that have been drained
- 1/8 cup of chopped cilantro
- heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat
- add the ground bison, onion and garlic – cook until meat begins to brown and vegetables become translucent.
- add the peppers, cocoa, and chili powder; cook until the peppers begin to soften – about three minutes.
- stir in the coffee, and then the tomatoes; cover loosely and reduce to a simmer
- cook the chili for 30 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- just before serving add the cilantro. Service with a splash of lime juice and your favorite chili toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat
- add the ground bison, onion and garlic; cook until the meat begins to brown and vegetables become translucent.
- place the mixture into a slow cooker
- add remaining ingredients, except cilantro and mix well
- cook on low for 6 hours
- stir in fresh cilantro and serve with a splash of lime juice
Pressure Cooker Instructions:
- set your pressure cooker to sautee and add the oil
- add bison, onion and garlic – cook until meat begins to brown and vegetables become translucent
- add the peppers and cook them until they soften – about three minutes
- add the remaining ingredients except for the cilantro
- cover the pressure cooker securely and set it to high for 15 minutes.
- use quick release and stir in the fresh cilantro
- cover and a keep the chili warm until it is ready to serve
Bison Chili Tips and Variations
- For an extra punch of veggies, add diced zucchini or carrots
- Mix up the beans, add a combination of kidney and black or all kidney or leave them out
- Leave beans out and add 2 cups of vegetables such as zucchini, peppers and carrots
- Substitute bison with lean ground grass-fed beef or organic ground chicken or turkey
- Use leftover chili in salads, tacos or nachos
- Garnish bison chili with any combination of a sprinkle of lime juice, a dollop of Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, chopped onions or avocado
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Mexican