Broccoli pesto has all of the flavors of traditional pesto with the added benefit of broccoli.
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/8 cup walnut pieces
- 1/8cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of a saucepan and add the broccoli. Cover the pot and cook over medium heat until the broccoli begins to soften – about 10 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and save some of the water to thin out the pesto if necessary once it’s made.
- Place the broccoli, basil, garlic, and walnuts in the food processor bowl.
- Process the pesto mixture until it is almost pureed.
- Remove the top of the food processor, scrape down the sides, add the shredded cheese, and put the top back on.
- Process the pesto again adding the oil through the top of the food processor.
- Adjust the consistency. If the mixture is thick, add a little more oil and water until it reaches a texture that you like.
can be substituted with frozen broccoli. The broccoli does not have to be thawed before cooking.
For a nut-free version, substitute the walnuts for sunflower seeds.
For a vegan or dairy-free version, substitute the parmesan cheese with an equal amount of nutritional yeast.
Add 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes for a little extra flavor.
If the broccoli pesto is too thick, add a little more oil and some of the reserved water to thin it out.
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: broccoli pesto, pesto sauce