Unlike black bean burgers with Tex-Mex flavors, these white bean burgers are filled with garlic, creamy white (Navy) beans and spinach. Since there are only a few ingredients they can be put together quickly.
The best part about bean burgers is that you can make a batch (or two) and freeze what you don’t eat the first time around for later use. The creamy texture of the beans combined with garlic and lemon almost melts in your mouth. Kind of like bean dip turns into a burger. Serve them with a salad for a nutritious and filling vegetarian lunch or dinner. The fiber and protein from the beans will have you feeling full — plus beans are a good source of magnesium, folate and potassium.
For this recipe I used dried beans that I prepared ahead of time, canned beans will work too. To limit toxins, look for choose canned beans with a BPA free lining. Eden Organics is my favorite brand.
- 11/2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of one half lemon
- 4 cloves of coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 cups white (Navy) beans
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup coarsely chopped organic baby spinach
- heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sautee pan and add the garlic
- cook the garlic over medium heat until it begins to soften, and stir in the lemon juice
- add the beans to the garlic and lemon juice
- using he back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher mash the beans and garlic until they have a chunky texture
- mix in the spinach and as it begins to wilt stir in the cheese
- remove mixture from heat; when it's cool enough to handle, form the mixture into patties
- heat the remaining oil in a sautee pan and cook the burgers for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side until they are heated through
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***