Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup is thick, creamy, healthy and super easy to make.
When the weather gets cold, I switch my lunch routine from salads to soups. I make a big batches of soup often so that I have some kind of warm comforting soup ready for lunch. This cream of broccoli soup has the soup of choice lately. Another favorite is this Sl Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup
Most recipes for cream of broccoli soup use a lot of cream, and I’m in it for the broccoli. After trying a few things out, I discovered a way to use a small amount of cream and a lot of broccoli. The trick is to puree the broccoli and add a little bit of cream. The result is a bowl of thick and creamy broccoli soup that tastes delicious.
This soup is so easy to make. In less than an hour, you can have a piping hot bowl of creamy, healthy and delicious soup. Store the soup in the fridge for few days, or freeze for up to three months.
- 1 large head of broccoli stems and florets roughly chopped - about 5 cups
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- ½ cup cream or whole milk
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese - optional
- place all ingredients except for the milk and cheese and cook covered over medium heat for about 20 minutes - or until broccoli has softened.
- using an immersion blender blend the mixture until it forms a thick liquid - it may contain pieces of broccoli - if you don't prefer chunky blend until smooth
- stir in the milk and cheese if using and serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is provided by an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
In honor of National Soup Swap Day, I’m sharing some of my blogging friends soup swap picks…
- Basil Turkey Soup by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Black Bean and Ham Bone Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup by Simple and Savory.com
- Middle Eastern Meatball Soup with Vegetables by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Port Wine Cream of Mushroom Soup by The Redhead Baker
- Rich and Easy Clam Chowder by Books n’ Cooks