Easy vegan mac and cheese with broccoli and mushrooms is a delicious and no-fuss vegan mac and cheese recipe. It’s rich, creamy and delicious; everything that mac and cheese should be.
- 4 ounces of whole-wheat uncooked pasta such as elbows, fusilli or shells
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil – divided (1/2 tablespoon for brushing the mushrooms)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 ounces broccoli florets (about 1 cup)
- 2 portobello mushroom caps sliced (about 5 to 6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon tamari sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 415 degrees
- Prepare the vegetables: slice the mushroom caps into 1/4 inch thick slices, and cut the broccoli into florets.
- Brush the vegetables with oil and arrange the mushrooms on a baking sheet; sprinkle them with the smoked paprika (set the broccoli aside). Place the mushrooms in the oven and roast them for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the broccoli and roast for 6 to 8 minutes more.
- While the vegetables are in the oven, cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Add the oil and garlic to a pan and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Lower the heat and stir in the flour to form a roux (paste).
- Gradually whisk in the oat milk stirring frequently. Once all of the milk has been added (the sauce should be smooth at this point), stir in the nutritional yeast continue to stir until all is combined and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and roasted vegetables and serve.
NOTE: This recipe is for two servings, for larger portions, use the scale button above. For one serving cut the amount of the ingredients in half, 2 ounces of uncooked pasta, 6 tablespoons of oat milk, 3/4 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 or 1 clove garlic, 3/4 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 1/2 ounces broccoli florets, 1 small or 1/2 large portobello mushroom cap, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon tamari sauce.
- Category: dinner
- Method: Stove Top
Keywords: easy vegan mac and cheese, mac and cheese with broccoli