Eggplant meatballs are a tender and flavorful alternative to their meat counterpart.
- Prepare the ingredients: rough chop the eggplant into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks, mince the onions and garlic, grate the cheese, drain and rinse the chickpeas – set everything aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 cup water to a skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. Once the water and oil are hot, add the eggplant chunks and water.
- Cook the eggplant stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes until the eggplant becomes tender.
- While the eggplant is cooking pulse the chickpeas and walnuts in a food processor until they are the size of breadcrumbs.
- Once the eggplant is cooked, transfer it to the food processor with the walnuts and chickpeas
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet along with onions and garlic., cook them until they become translucent – about 5 minutes and add them to the food processor and process again.
- Add the onions and garlic to the food processor and blend them together.
- Place the mixture into a bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whisk one egg and stir it into the eggplant mixture along with the cheese mix until everything is combined.
- Place the meatball mixture in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove the mixture from the freezer, and pre-heat the oven to 400.
- Roll the mixture into balls about 2 inches in size
- Place the meatballs onto a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper and bake until browned – about 15 to 20 minutes.
- For vegan/dairy-free eggplant meatballs, replace the Parmesan cheese with 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and the egg with a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed combined with 2 tablespoons water)
- Serve the meatballs on a hoagie roll topped with melted mozzarella cheese, on top of your favorite pasta or zoodles, or in sauce for an appetizer.
Nutrition information is provided by Nutrifox, an online calculator and is meant to be used for informational purposes only. Even though I try to provide accurate information, these figures should still be considered as estimates.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan meatballs, vegetarian meatballs, meatless meatballs, meatballs