Sliced eggplant is grilled and layered with fresh tomatoes, then topped with fresh mozzarella cheese and touch of balsamic vinegar in these Grilled Eggplant Caprese stacks.
Eggplant is one of those foods that you either love or you despise. I am on the love side, but I will say that if it’s not cooked enough it can taste pretty bad, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t really over cook eggplant unless you burn it.
Eggplant is in full season and so are fresh juicy tomatoes and basil, so how could I not grill up these little stacks? This dish is low carb, filled with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and deliciousness.
The key is to slice the eggplant thin, add a sprinkle of sea salt and allow them to sit for 30 minutes before grilling. Serve these grilled eggplant Caprese stacks as the main course with a side salad like this loaded chopped salad and whole grain pasta or serve as a side dish or appetizer.
- 1 large eggplant sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 2 to 3 large ripe tomatoes sliced thin
- a handful of basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup or more fresh grated mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle sea salt over eggplant slices and set aside for 30 minutes
- Mix the garlic and olive oil together
- Preheat a gas grill to medium
- Brush the eggplant with the garlic and oil mixture
- Grill the eggplant for about 7 minutes - until it begins to soften
- Flip over and grill for 5 to 7 minutes more
- Remove from grill
- top an eggplant slice with a tomato, and another slice of eggplant and another slice of tomato, sprinkle with cheese and grill for 5 minutes more or until cheese melts
- drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with fresh basil
My Ingredient Picks. . .
Please note that these are affiliate links, which means that if you click on one and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. I only recommend products that I use myself. Thanks for supporting Simple and Savory!
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***