These puffy and soft chocolate chip cookies are made without butter or refined sugar. Even though they are a healthier version of a timeless favorite, you will never know the difference.
It’s day six of the #Christmascookie challenge and today I am sharing my healthy version of chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are a classic, and most likely on just about every holiday bakers cookie list. Unfortunately many of the recipes contain refined sugars, white flour and butter or crisco – what is crisco anyway?
I made a few simple tweaks to the traditional ingredients and transformed them into a much better for you cookie by . . .
- swapping out the refined sugars (brown and white) for coconut sugar and used less.
- replacing the butter with coconut oil and used organic whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup of oats to add a little more fiber.
These cookies are lower in calories, sugar and carbohydrates AND they have a higher fiber content. They are still a treat, but a much better option!
NOTES: These cookies can be made vegan by using flax eggs ( 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water for each egg) in place of eggs. They can also be made gluten free by using almond flour, get the gluten free recipe here.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups 60% or higher dark chocolate chips
- 1cup chopped walnuts
- pre-heat oven to 375
- place the flour, oats and baking soda into a bowl and set aside
- using a mixer mix the coconut sugar, and coconut oil together, blend in he eggs and vanilla
- add the dry ingredients and combine well
- stir in the nuts and chips
- using an ice cream scoop - scoop out dough and place on to a parchment lined baking sheet
- bake for 10 minutes
For a gluten free version get the recipe here
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies from Cooking With Carlee
Classic American Sugar Cookies from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Double Chocolate Snowball Cookies from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Gluten-Free Maple Chestnut Cookies from Caroline’s Cooking
Maple Sugar Cookies from A Palatable Pastime
Nutty Triple Chocolate Cookies from Family Around the Table
Tangerine and Dark Chocolate Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies from Simple and Savory
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***