Pomegranate Barbecue Pulled Pork – Is boneless pork that is slow cooked in a homemade barbecue sauce.
I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
One of the many things I like about pulled pork is the versatility. There are so many different choices for the sauce from vinegar sauces to full-blown overly sweet barbecue sauces, some are even made with soda. My preference is vinegar because some of the barbecue sauces are way too sweet for me. That is until I decided to make a barbecue sauce with Pom Wonderful.
This recipe was inspired by an old family recipe for ribs that are cooked in a barbecue sauce that’s somewhat homemade. I decided to go a step further with the pulled pork and make it more healthy by adding anti-oxidant and potassium-rich Pom Wonderful. Did you know that eight ounces of Pom Wonderful contain as much potassium as a medium banana?
Pomegranate Barbecue Pulled Pork
The Pom Wonderful sauce compliments the pork perfectly, it’s not too sweet, yet extremely flavorful. It tastes great served on a roll with a heaping helping of no mayo coleslaw or you can go low carb in a bowl with coleslaw. Whichever way you choose, this is a tasty and healthy rendition of barbecue pulled pork that’s deep rich and slightly tangy. Here’s how to make it…
Pomegranate Pulled Pork
pomegranate pulled pork is deep, rich, tangy and full of flavor. Serve it on a roll or in a bowl
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 3 to 4-pound boneless pork shoulder or roast
- FOR THE RUB
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 cup Pom Wonderful Pomegranate juice
- mix the rub ingredients together and coat the pork roast and set aside
- mix up the sauce ingredients and pour into the slow cooker
- add the pork to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours
- remove the pork from the slow cooker and using two forks shred
- return the pork to the slow cooker and once heated through, serve