Pomegranate Barbecue Pulled Pork – Is boneless pork that is slow cooked in a homemade barbecue sauce.
I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
One of the many things I like about pulled pork is the versatility. There are so many different choices for the sauce from vinegar sauces to full-blown overly sweet barbecue sauces, some are even made with soda. My preference is vinegar because some of the barbecue sauces are way too sweet for me. That is until I decided to make a barbecue sauce with Pom Wonderful.
This recipe was inspired by an old family recipe for ribs that are cooked in a barbecue sauce that’s somewhat homemade. I decided to go a step further with the pulled pork and make it more healthy by adding anti-oxidant and potassium-rich Pom Wonderful. Did you know that eight ounces of Pom Wonderful contain as much potassium as a medium banana?
Pomegranate Barbecue Pulled Pork
The Pom Wonderful sauce compliments the pork perfectly, it’s not too sweet, yet extremely flavorful. It tastes great served on a roll with a heaping helping of no mayo coleslaw or you can go low carb in a bowl with coleslaw. Whichever way you choose, this is a tasty and healthy rendition of barbecue pulled pork that’s deep rich and slightly tangy. Here’s how to make it…
- 3 to 4-pound boneless pork shoulder or roast
- FOR THE RUB
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- FOR THE SAUCE
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ½ cup Pom Wonderful Pomegranate juice
- mix the rub ingredients together and coat the pork roast and set aside
- mix up the sauce ingredients and pour into the slow cooker
- add the pork to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours
- remove the pork from the slow cooker and using two forks shred
- return the pork to the slow cooker and once heated through, serve