Pork chops with sauerkraut and apples – salty, sweet and sour all in one bite, it’s perfect to celebrate fall.
I can’t think of many other combinations that taste better than pork, sauerkraut, and apples. Especially the sauerkraut. Maybe it’s my German background or just that I love the taste of it, but there is always a jar of homemade sauerkraut in my fridge ready to add to sandwiches, salads or to eat all by itself. My absolute favorite way to enjoy sauerkraut is in this dish.
Pork chops with sauerkraut and apples are super easy to make, and it cooks all in one pan. That’s a win all the way around. This dish cooks slowly and as a result, the apples almost turn into applesauce after they have cooked and they add a touch of sweetness to the tart sauerkraut.
Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Apples
Bake a few potatoes along with the pork chops and steam some broccoli just before they are ready so that you can enjoy an easy hands-off dinner. Here’s how you do it. . .
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless pork chops
- 2 small to medium apples sliced
- 2½ cups sauerkraut
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- pre-heat oven to 325
- sprinkle sea salt and cracked pepper over chops
- place oil in a skillet and heat over medium to high heat
- add the chops to the heated pan and cook for three minutes until they become brown, flip and cook chops for three to five minutes more.
- add the sauerkraut and apples
- cover and place in oven - bake for 90 minutes
- German Pancake Soup (Flädlesuppe) by Caroline’s Cooking
- German Potato Pancakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Homemade Pretzels with Kids by Hardly A Goddess
- Kräuterbutter (German Herb Butter) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Latke and Sauerbraten Poutine by Monica’s Table
- Obatzda – Bavarian Cheese Spread by Sunday Supper Movement
- Warsteiner Fondue by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Kaiserschmarrn Recipe by Plated Cravings
- Nana’s Gluten Free German Chocolate Cake by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Rote Grütze (Fruit Pudding) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Main Dish (Hauptgericht)
- Bavarian Sausage & Cabbage Soup by Food Done Light
- Beef Goulash Recipe by Positively Stacey
- Beer Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Berlin Potato Soup by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bierocks by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Bratwurst Sheet Pan Dinner by A Mind Full Mom
- Burgers with Bacon-Sauerkraut Jam by Palatable Pastime
- How to Make Traditional German Sauerbraten by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oktoberfest Beer Brats by Wholistic Woman
- Oktoberfest Chicken Chili by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oktoberfest Fondue 3 Ways by Momma’s Meals
- Pork chops with Sauerkraut and Apples by Brunch-n-Bites
- Roasted Apple & Beer Chili For Oktoberfest by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Kebobs w/ a Boiled Cider Drizzle by The Freshman Cook
- Schwenkbraten (Grilled German Pork Chops) by Curious Cuisiniere
Side Dish (Beigabe)
- Fried Potatoes German Style by My Life as a Cookbook
- German Potato Salad by Tramplingrose
- Ginger Beer Sauerkraut by Cricket’s Confections
- Herbed Spaetzle by The Hungry Goddess
- Krautsalat (German Coleslaw) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oktoberfest Potatoes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.