Bite sized pieces of chicken are marinated and quickly stir fried in this healthier version of sesame chicken.
It’s Secret Recipe Club time again, and this month I was assigned to choose a recipe from Tea and Scones. Margaret, the blogger at Tea and Scones loves to bake, especially scones. When I first read about her blog, I have to say I was a bit intimidated because baking is NOT my specialty, even though her baked goods sound really yummy 🙂 . As I browsed through her recipe collection I was happy to see that her blog is so much more than baking and several recipes caught my attention. Her recipe for zucchini Parmesan crisps has me anxious for my garden to overflow with zucchini so I can make them, but I can start now with her baked onion rings. AND today I just noticed a recipe for sweet potato chips, if they were on the blog two weeks ago, that would have been my first choice. I knew I had to choose one recipe, and the Sesame Chicken with Broccoli was calling out to me. I am a sucker for Asian inspired foods, especially when a little bit of heat is added. The best thing about this recipe is that it can be put together in no time. The broccoli and sauce can be prepared while e the chicken is marinating and the rice is cooking so you are ready to go when it’s time to start cooking.
I followed the recipe as written with a few exceptions; I substituted the soy sauce with tamari sauce, canola oil with coconut oil and corn starch with arrowroot powder. Once all of the ingredients were ready to cook, dinner was on the table within 15 minutes – well maybe a little bit longer because I had to take some pictures 🙂 . This is most definitely a recipe to make again and again.
- 5 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 4 teaspons toasted sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast cut into one inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 green onions slicd- reserve greens for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets, and steamed
- 2-3 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium sized bowl combine 3 tablespoons of tamari sauce, 2 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Add the chicken, toss to coat, and marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating make the sauce by mixing the broth, 2 tablespoons tamari sauce, 3 tablespoons honey, arrow root, vinegar and chili paste and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and add to pan (discard remaining marinade). Cook until browned and cooked through, turning as needed, about 6 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to a serving dish.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons coconut oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, ginger, and garlic - cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add the sauce mixture to the pan and cook, stirring, until the mixture is thickened and darkened in color, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tsp sesame oil and remove from heat.
- toss in the broccoli and cook for two to three minutes until crisp tender.
- Serve with your favorite rice
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Surround chicken with steamed broccoli. Sprinkle the chicken with the sesame seeds and reserved 2 T scallions. Serve over rice.
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***