Shrimp cakes are made with fresh ingredients then pan seared for a crispy crust. Serve them with a side of spicy cajun sauce that’s mayo free.
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs – divided in half
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil – divided
For The Sauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Prepare the ingredients: Clean, peel and chop the shrimp, dice the vegetables and set them aside
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Once the skillet it hot, add the peppers, onions and celery. Cook until they begin to soften and remove the from the heat. Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped shrimp to a mixing bowl with a beaten egg, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, and cooked vegetables. Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into four patties (6 large or 8 to 10 for appetizer). If batter is too fragile, place it in the refrigerator for up to 30 minutes before forming the patties.
- Spread the remaining breadcrumbs out onto a plate dip the patties into the breadcrumbs.
- Set them aside and heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add the cakes (2 to 3 at a time) and cook for 5 minutes, carefully flip them and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more until they are cooked through.
- Make the sauce by combining the lemon juice, Cajun Seasoning, and yogurt.
- Category: dinner
Keywords: easy dinner, dinner, shrimp, shrimp cakes, seafood cakes