Slow cooked chicken and vegetable stew is a flavorful blend of vegetables and chicken in a tomato based wine sauce.
This stew is a little bit like soup; so you can eat it with a spoon or a fork, your choice. It’s so comforting and delicious, just the way I like my slow cooked dinners. The boneless chicken breasts are shredded at the end of cooking so that the chicken stays nice and moist.
The preparation is a breeze – only 7 ingredients that are placed into the slow cooker.
Serve this as is in a bowl with a hunk of crusty bread or thicken the sauce with a slurry of flour or arrowroot mixed with water. When the sauce is thickened it tastes great served over farro and a salad on the side. You can easily double this recipe for later in the week, and serve it bowl style over your favorite whole grain pasta, rice or even cauli-rice nestled with a helping of steamed zucchini or peas.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes or canned
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred
- Return chicken to slow cooker and set slow cooker to warm for at least 30 minutes longer
- To thicken sauce combine 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder or flour with 3 tablespoons water, gradually add to slow cooker stirring with a whisk until desired thickness. You may not need to use the entire mixture.
- Herbs De Provence is a spice blend that is typically made of savory, marjoram, thyme, oregano and lavender. It can be purchased in most grocery stores.
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***