Boneless chicken breasts are soaked in an orange marinade and slow cooked to perfection.
I cook with natural foods most of the time, and I always have some kind of citrus fruit on hand to flavor food. So when I read that the #SundaySupper theme for this week was celebrating spring with citrus recipes to make you smile, I knew I was in.
I love my slow cooker, but I also know that using a slow cooker isn’t always the best option. Like when you are pressed for time, or you forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer the night before. So this recipe has two options – slow cooked in the slow cooker for four hours and slow cooked for one and a half hours in the oven. Whichever way you choose to cook your orange chicken, it will make you smile. It’s a light and refreshing dinner made with simple ingredients – just perfect for early spring.
This is not your typical orange chicken, it’s low in calories because it’s not breaded or fried. It’s just marinated and cooked slowly. Once it is ready to eat, it can be shredded and served with your favorite stir-fried vegetables and rice.
Or it can be sliced topped with the sauce from the chicken and served with roasted vegetables and quinoa.
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 mandarin oranges peeled and sectioned or one orange sectioned
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a small bowl combine the orange juice through ginger and mix well
- Set half of this mixture aside and pour the other half over chicken breasts and marinate for at least 1 hour
- Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker OR baking pan pour the remainder of the marinade mixture over the chicken and top with oranges cover and cook on low in the slow cooker for 4 hours OR bake at 325 for 1 hour
Thank you, Lisa, at Jersey Girl Cooks for hosting this event and be sure to check out these citrus recipes to make you smile. . .
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Mango Citrus Salsa by Feeding Big
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa by Home Sweet Homestead
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Ladyfinger Lemon Torte Recipe by Positively Stacey
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Meyer Lemon Mousse by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.