I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Toufayan Bakeries and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Welcome spring with this spring veggie pizza that’s made with spring’s freshest vegetables.
Spring is my favorite time of year. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a sign of new life or because the weather is getting warmer – or maybe a little bit of both? I always get excited when I start to see bundles of asparagus showing up in the produce section because I love asparagus and it’s a sure sign that spring is on its way. When I received my delivery of these yummy Toufayan pita pockets I knew that I had to make something with my favorite spring produce – a veggie pizza perhaps?
Toufayan Bakeries is a family-owned bakery in the U.S. that makes over 100 products. In fact, it’s the largest pita company in the U.S, and the pitas are baked right here in my home state of New Jersey! Toufayan pita pockets are naturally cholesterol and fat-free, which makes them the perfect base for individual sized pizzas. When the pizzas come out of the oven, the “crust” is just the way I like it, crispy and a little bit chewy.
Homemade pizza is one of our favorites, but it can be soooo time-consuming to make. First, you have to make the dough, then let it rise and roll it out and let it rise again. Who has time for that during the week? When I use Toufayan pita pockets for the crust, it drastically cuts down on the amount of time it takes to make a tasty and healthy pizza. Plus you can customize each pizza so even the picky eaters are happy!
- FOR THE PESTO
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- ½ cup packed basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- FOR THE PIZZA
- 4 whole wheat
- 2 large portobello mushrooms sliced about ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup frozen artichoke hearts that have been thawed
- 6 to 8 spears of asparagus
- 4-6 Tablespoons grated fresh mozzarella cheese - optional
- Preheat oven to 425
- Smear approximately 1 tablespoon olive oil onto a parchment lined baking sheet and top with
- place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes flip the slices over and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more
- While mushrooms are baking make the pesto by placing the spinach, basil, garlic, walnuts into a food processor and process while gradually adding the oil through the feed tube.
- Add the parmesan cheese and blend well. Adjust the texture of the pesto by adding water by the teaspoon if it's too thick.
- Put it together by placing 4 Toufayan pita pockets onto a baking sheet
- Spread approximately 2 to three tablespoons of the pesto on each pita
- layer with sliced mushrooms, artichokes
- using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus over each pita and top with mozzarella cheese if desired
- Bake at 425 for 10 to15 minutes until heated through and cheese has melted
And there are more recipes ideas for Toufayan Pita Pockets in the round-up below . . .
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***