Sushi bowls are an easy way to make your own sushi. No rolling involved, just a bowl full of delicious sushi ingredients!
If you have ever attempted to make your own sushi rolls, I’m sure you will agree that it’s not an easy task, and they never, ever come out looking as pretty as they do when you get them at a restaurant. So why stress out about making your own pretty little rolls when you can just toss the ingredients into a bowl and be done with it? Sushi bowls taste the same, and I think the bowls look pretty appetizing too, don’t they?
Another thing that I love about making sushi bowls is that you can pile on the vegetables and cut back on the rice. I had some beautiful shrimp to make these sushi bowls and they were super delicious. Sushi bowls are not only healthy, they are filling. Even though this bowl looks like a light meal, trust me, you will be feeling pretty full when you are done. Here’s how to make them. . .Print
Sushi Bowls have all of the ingredients of a sushi roll without the fuss.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder dissolved in 1 teaspoon of water – optional
- For The Bowls:
- 10 to 12 medium shrimp that have been cleaned and steamed
- 2 carrots
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 avocado
- 2 to 3 spears of asparagus
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons cup rice vinegar
- sesame seeds for garnish
- pickled ginger
- Mix the dressing ingredients and set aside
- Cook rice according to package instructions, when cooked stir in 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and cool
- While rice is cooking. . .
- Peel the carrots and cut into matchstick sized pieces – set aside
- Cut the cucumbers into matchstick sized pieces – set aside
- Open the avocado and remove the pit using a knife. Using a spoon scoop out the flesh and slice into cubes and set aside
- Place 3/4 cup of rice into each bowl
- Top with carrots, cucumbers, and avocado
- Using a vegetable peeler shave the asparagus into ribbons and add to each bowl
- Top with ginger
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour over each bowl
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 498
- Sugar: 8.8g
- Sodium: 740mg
- Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 27.1g
- Carbohydrates: 43.7g
- Fiber: 11.5g
- Protein: 11.9g
My Ingredient Picks. . .
Please note that these are affiliate links which means that if you click on one of them and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. I only recommend products that I use myself. Thanks for supporting Simple and Savory.
Tips/Variations. . .
- Make ahead version – Cook rice and shrimp ahead of time. Prep veggies when prepping for another meal and put the bowls together when it’s time to eat.
- For a quick lunch idea, pour the dressing into a mason jar and top with shrimp, veggies, avocado, and rice.
- Any kind of seafood can be used, try tuna, scallops, crab or salmon
- If seafood’s not your thing, try shredded chicken, organic tofu or organic edamame.
Do you like bowls? Then check out these Southwestern Tuna Bowls.