Tea Infused Apple Cider Chicken
A healthier twist on apple cider chicken that gets its apple flavors from tea
- Author: Anne
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top/Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces of water plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Republic of Tea Hot Apple Cider Teabags or your favorite apple-flavored tea
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon or brown mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 apple sliced thin
- Place two tea bags into 1 cup of warm water and let it steep and then return to room temperature.
- Once the tea has cooled off, whisk the tea with one tablespoon tamari sauce, 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard.
- Place the chicken breasts into a glass dish and pour half of the (1/2 cup) marinade over the chicken and refrigerate for at least one hour. Reserve the remaining half cup of marinade and set it aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350
- Heat a skillet over medium to high heat with 1 tablespoon oil. Add the chicken breasts and cook until they start to brown. Flip them over and add the minced garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes longer until the underside of the chicken is golden brown.
- Reduce the heat and add the reserved marinade and top the chicken with apple slices.
- Cover the pan and place it in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken breasts on a platter.
- Strain the herbs and garlic from the sauce in the pan and gradually stir in 1 teaspoon of flour mixed with 1 tablespoon water to thicken the sauce.
Substitute the boneless chicken breasts with boneless chicken thighs or boneless pork chops.
Change up the tea; try using a simple green or black tea and add 1/4 cup diced apples to the liquid in the pan before baking.
Keywords: Apple Cider Chicken, cider chicken, apple chicken