This Chicken Murphy recipe is made with bite-sized pieces of chicken and sausage combined with peppers and tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or chicken tenders cut into one inch chunks
- 1/4 pound Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage links (about 2)
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into one inch sized pieces
- 16 ounces of cremini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, cut into slices
- 1 red bell pepper cut into slices
- 1 green pepper cut into slices
- 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes or no salt or sugar added canned
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup of brine of pepperoncini
- Prepare all of the ingredients: cut up the chicken and potatoes into bite sized pieces. Clean and slice the mushrooms, onions and peppers. Crush the garlic.
- Heat a skillet over medium to high heat, brown the sausage links, slice them and set them aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and cook until they become golden brown, remove from heat and place into baking pan.
- Next add the mushrooms and cook until they have a semi-crusty texture and place in baking pan
- Cook the onions and garlic until they become translucent, remove and place in baking pan
- Add the bell peppers and cook until they start to soften, and add to baking pan
- Last, brown the chicken and add it to the mixture of ingredients in the baking pan and top it with the sausage.
- Pour the tomatoes, hot peppers and brine over the top and gently stir the mixutre
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350
- Uncover and cook for 10 minutes longer
Cooking time for this recipe is about 40 to 50 minutes browning each ingredient PLUS an additional 45 minutes in the oven.
I like to brown the ingredients separately in a skillet before layering them into a casserole dish so that the skillet is not crowded with the vegetables. If you are short on time or have a large skillet, you can brown the vegetable ingredients together in any combination that you like.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Stove/Oven
- Cuisine: American Italian
Keywords: chicken dinner, easy dinner idea