Homemade potato chips are seasoned with herb infused oil and jalapeno sea salt, far better than any packaged potato chips.
Potato chips have always been my downfall. That old commerical that says “bet you just can’t have one” was written for people like me. Because I can’t. That’s why I don’t. Eat potato chips. Unless I make my own. They are easy to make, especially when you have the right accessories like this herb infuser and sea salt that I received from Uncommon Goods.
Uncommon Goods is one of the best places to go for gifts this holiday season or any time of year for that matter. They are a privately owned gift retailer based in Brooklyn NY. They offer an expansive variety of gifts such as unique jewelery, tabletop items, designer decor and hand crafted items. I know it sounds cliche but there is something for everyone at Uncommon Goods, even those hard to buy for people in your life. AND the best part is you can do your shopping from home!
Half of the merchandise that Uncommon Goods sells is made by hand and they make it their priority to support artists and designers plus they donate $1 from every purchase to charity, how cool is that? You really should check them out while there is still time to shop for Christmas gifts. You might just end up like me and pick a gift or two for yourself, like the infuser and sea salt set. They are perfect for flavoring food, like these potato chips.
The most time consuming part about making your own chips is slicing the potatoes, which can be done with a food processor or a mandolin. I flavored these with garlic and herb infused oil along with a dash of jalapeno sea salt, but just about anything goes. The chips are spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. They came out crispy and delicious!
These chips beat store-bought hands down. Once you have a bowl full of chips to munch on, why not pull up a chair and finish up your holiday shopping on Uncommon Goods. Here’s how to make the chips. . .
- 4 russet potatoes with skins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or olive oil infused with garlic and herbs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or flavored sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425
- Using a mandolin slicer- slice the potatoes thin and place them into a bowl
- Add the olive oil to the potatoes and combine well
- Spread the potato slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet (you may need 2)
- sprinkle with sea salt
- place in oven and bake for 8 minutes, turn chips over and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more continually checking and removing as they appear done - browning on edges/sides