Tuscan vegetable soup with white bean balls is a hearty vegetable soup that is simple, comforting and completely delicious. It’s packed with vegetables, pasta, white bean balls and homemade vegetable broth. It is truly a filling meal all in one bowl.
Even though the ingredient list is long, you can make this soup in less than an hour. I make the bean balls first, and while they are cooking I make the soup.
Unlike meatballs, the bean balls are fragile, so they should be added to the soup when it is ready to eat. I like to serve them on the side with the soup so you can add as many as you like. These bean balls are like little flavor bombs, once they hit the soup they begin to fall apart and spread their intense flavor throughout. You will probably be reaching for more before your soup bowl is empty.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup with White Bean Balls
This soup is vegan, and can easily be made gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta. This recipe was inspired by Wedding Soup with White Bean Balls and Kale from the Thug Kitchen Official Cookbook. Serve this with a side salad for a filling meal.
- For the white bean balls
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cooked or canned white beans
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ⅛ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- For the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small to medium zucchini diced
- ¼ cup small whole wheat or gluten-free pasta such as orzo
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Make the Bean Balls
- pre-heat the oven to 425
- line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and apply a thin coating of olive oil
- mash the beans into a paste using a fork or food processor
- add the garlic, onion, nutritional yeast, tamari sauce, spices, lemon zest to the mashed beans and mix well.
- roll the mixture into ½ inch sized balls and place on baking sheet
- bake for approximately 30 minutes - turning half way through cooking
- Remove from oven and set aside
- Make The Soup )
- heat the olive oil in a soup pot and add the garlic and onions, cook, until they begin to brown about 5 minutes
- add the pasta, zucchini, tomatoes, and broth
- let simmer for about 10 minutes until pasta is soft
- stir in the lemon juice and greens and reduce heat to low until greens begin to wilt
- serve the soup with three bean balls and enjoy!
My Ingredient Picks
***Please note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means that if you follow one of the links and make a purchase we will receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. This helps us to continue to bring you good content. Thank you for your support! Simple and Savory is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.***